Step 12 consciousness and giving back.
A day late but we did it and so welcomed by those in need! Thanks guys at The Sanctuary Addiction Centre for helping with donations for the needy to see them through a very cold, cold winter . People, just like us, go without clothes or even blankets all through winter. The extra warmth is nothing short of pure love(verb) in action.
The question comes up as to why we as a species, society or even community don’t give back more often? Often the answer boils down to meaning. We don’t think we will make enough difference. We can’t see how our small parts in giving, being kind and helping others will have an effect on the bigger picture. But that is just how it is. Collectively we know we can do a lot, and as individuals we need to know how we effect the collective consciousness of the world at large.
Step 12 is all about giving back. It’s about coming to think in a certain way. It’s about practicing certain principles in all our affairs. It’s a process to get to understanding step 12. Included in that process are of course the other 11 Steps, but also a path to enlightening ones thinking and understanding a new and better way to live. This has to include giving back. Why? Because it’s the way things work. We have to give to receive. We have to love in order to accept love. We have to hand it over, to gain balanced control. It is pretty much a paradox to how many people live by grabbing, accumulating, being selfish and self centered.
The Tiny Buddha Facebook page asked people how they felt they could make a difference. This is what they said:
1. Wake up. ~Karen Maezen Miller
2. Make a difference in yourself, for the better. Such an inward difference always has rippling outward benefits. ~Hansoul Kim
3. Remember there are three poisons: greed, anger, and ignorance. Do not deny their existence but turn them around and you have generosity, compassion, and wisdom. ~Clifton Bradley
4. Make it a habit to respect everyone. ~Margarita Medina
5. Consider the people you see each day. Sometimes I get wrapped up in things I am working on— fundraisers etc. But the coworker, family member, pet right next to you are the people you can truly reach and touch. ~Amy E. Moore
6. Operate from a place of love. ~ Erika Gonzalez
7. Be kind to others. In this busy world people become self consumed and forget that kindness goes a long way. ~ Ana Stuckart
8. Acknowledge the light within myself and in others. Not always easy to do but feels so powerful when I am able to do so. ~Maria Thieme
9. Talk to someone that you think might be in distress. You may make the difference of a lifetime. ~Alexander De Raadt St.James
10. Simply show up. Just put your soul into it. If you show up physically with the soles of your feet, the heart, mind, and soul will have a chance to follow or catch up. You may not want to be there in the beginning, but showing up allows a committed chance at making a difference everyday for the people you love, the people you will meet, and the eventual person you will become. Show up. ~Holli Grant
11. Smile. ~Seret Rafferty
12. Be more involved in the world. You can’t be spectator forever. ~Christina Breeden
13. Be the change you wish to see in the world! ~April Spears paraphrasing Gandhi
14. Be gentle and practice sympathetic joy. ~Susan Cross
15. Start really listening to the people around you. Your family for example. People crave for attention. People feel loved when given attention.. Give love. And listening is an act of love. ~Leoni Erica Tayamen
16. Listen. Give. Do. ~Phyllis Fenander
17. Teach your kids by example; be caring, open minded, have good manners and remember to smile. ~Paivi McKittrick
18. Look into your child’s eyes. Stop what you are doing, sit down, and just look into them. Do that every day and you will change the world. ~Noel Cocca
19. Be a true you…positive energy attracts. ~Jane George
20. Love. ~Stephen Kreins
21. I quote the great Horatio Lee Jenkins: “Don’t worry—everything is going to be awesome!”~Carl Dangers
22. Find someone that needs a smile and give them that smile, once a day for the rest of your life, and like a ripple in a pond it will be carried onwards. ~SoulLife Searcher
23. Speak without saying a word. A lot can be said without words. ~Ralph Rocha
24. Learn to be aware of all the wonder we have around us, let the past be in the past and not part of the future. Choose life every day, be grateful for whatever you have, and most important share, share, share—spread as much love as you can. ~Lula Insfran
25. Hakuna mattata, one love, pay it forward. ~Kerin Colby
How are you making a difference in the world?
CONTACT THE SANCTUARY
CALL +0044 533 0330 or 082 442 4779
EMERGENCY 0079 0821 745
The Sanctuary Centre Map, Plettenberg Bay, Western Cape, South Africa, 6600